This is rated one of the best writers conferences. I am honored to be one of the keynote speakers, as well as lead an intensived workshop. I would also like to announce that two other IFWTWA board members are involved, president, Michelle M. Winner and second vice president, Allen Cox.~MDH
VISIT US ON TWITTER @NorthwestWriter, @WildAboutTheNW, and @Carrie_Writes
MARCH 17-18, 2013
Seaside Conference Center 989 Broadway
VISIT SEASIDE ON TWITTER @VisitSeasideOR
Conference Theme: Research at Home & Away. Pitch. Write. Publish!
REGIONAL TRAVEL & TOURISM EXHIBITORS CONFIRMED:
ASTORIA – WARRENTON VISITORS BUREAUS (OldOregon.com)
BELLINGHAM – WHATCOM COUNTY TOURISM, Bellingham, WA (Bellingham.org)
COOS BAY – NORTH BEND VISITOR & CONVENTION BUREAU, south Oregon Coast area (OregonsAdventureCoast.com)
LONG BEACH PENINSULA VISITORS BUREAU, Long Beach WA (FunBeach.com)
MOUNT VERNON – SKAGIT VALLEY VISITORS CENTER, Mount Vernon, WA (mountvernonchamber.com/visitors)
OLYMPIC PENINSULA TOURISM (OlympicPeninsula.org)
SEASIDE VISITORS BUREAU (SeasideOR.com)
TRAVEL SALEM (TravelSalem.com)
VISIT TRI – CITIES (Kennewick, Pasco, Richland Washington) (VisitTri-Cities.com)
WASHINGTON’S SCENIC CASCADE LOOP ASSOCIATION, North Cascades Highway 20 from Sedro Woolley to Highways153 & 97 and Highway 2 across Stevens Pass to Snohomish and Everett (CascadeLoop.com)
DAVE PETERSON, PUBLISHER, NORTHWEST TRAVEL MAGAZINE
MARALYN HILL, PAST PRESIDENT, INTERNATIONAL FOOD, WINE AND TRAVEL WRITERS ASSOCIATION (IFWTWA)
SUNDAY, MARCH 17, SEASIDE CONFERENCE CENTER
1:00 p.m. Necanicum Room: Check in, Meet & Greet, Visit Exhibitor Tables and meet travel & tourism staff
1:30 p.m. Welcome & Introductions
1:45 p.m. INTRODUCE REGIONAL TRAVEL & TOURISM EXHIBITORS; Washington Tourism Alliance Update, Christina Pivarnik
2:40 p.m. “BEST WAYS TO CONNECT & WORK WITH REGIONAL TRAVEL & TOURISM STAFF” UNA BOYLE, former Executive Director, Long Beach Peninsula Visitors Bureau
3:00 p.m. “EXPAND YOUR FREELANCE WRITING: CAST A WIDER NET” Presenter: MARALYN HILL, Board Member and Past President, International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA)
3:45 p.m. ““SUCCEEDING AS A FREELANCE WRITER: MARKETING YOUR NICHE” Panelists: LEE DALEY, Sausalito CA (Luxury travel & Photography, member SATW); CRAIG ROMANO, Mount Vernon WA (Guidebook author with NW outdoors a major interest); MICHELLE WINNER, Sandy OR (luxury travel, culinary travel, & regional travel including Canada; President, International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association/IFWTWA); BRIAN YAEGER, Portland (Beer guy, writes about everything beers/ales)
5:00 p.m. NETWORKING MIXER No-host Bar with selection of Oregon and Washington hand-crafted ales, wines, hard ciders (including non-alcohol choices). Special Oregon Coast Appetizers by chef & staff from Oregon Coast Culinary Institute (Coos Bay Community College) and Seaside Conference Center chef.
MONDAY, MARCH 18, SEASIDE CONFERENCE CENTER
9:00 a.m. Necanicum Room, Welcome
9:15 a.m. “WRITING AND PUBLISHING ROUNDUP” Presenter: DAVE PETERSON, Publisher, Northwest Travel Magazine
10:00 a.m. BREAK & VISIT REGIONAL EXHIBIT TABLES
10:30 a.m. WORKSHOP INTENSIVES
1. “TUNE UP YOUR WRITING FOR ARTICLES EDITORS LOVE“ ALLEN COX, Freelance Lifestyles writer and Editor-in-Chief, Northwest Travel Magazine; board member and Vice President, International Food, Wine, and Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA) shares tips for turning your freelance articles into winning gems that Editors love.
2. “EARN A LIVING AS A FREELANCE WRITER” NAN DEVLIN, Freelance writer, tourism consultant, and lecturer at The George Washington University, shares how to expand your Freelance writing horizons farther afield, from writing articles to other writing avenues that also pay.
3. “DOUBLE YOUR ONLINE WRITING INCOME“ JASON BRICK, Freelance writer, house dad, and prolific online writer for markets that pay freelance writers, will share his strategies for increasing your online writing income.
4. “EXPAND YOUR NICHE: RESEARCH & WRITE FOR THE LUXURY MARKETS” MARALYN HILL, Board member and Past President, International Food, Wine and Travel Writers Association (IFWTWA. From exclusive, trendy and affluent to epicurean, red carpet and first cabin, Maralyn will share her strategies for researching and writing for luxury and high-end markets.
5. “SOCIAL MEDIA FOR WRITERS, 101″ – JESSICA SPIEGEL, Social media consultant and Travel Blog Exchange (TBEX) community manager, shares tips on getting started & being confident with social media, staying engaged without spending all day on Twitter and using social media as a tool in your marketing arsenal.
6. “IMPROVE YOUR PHOTOS WITH LIGHTROOM’S DIGITAL TECHNIQUES” JOHN SUNDSMO, Award winning photographer shares tips and tricks to make your ordinary photos popping spectacular.
11:30 a.m. Reconvene, Necanicum Room: Q&A with WORKSHOP INTENSIVE PRESENTERS
1: 00 p.m. VISIT REGIONAL EXHIBIT TABLES
1:35 p.m. WORKSHOP INTENSIVES, SESSION TWO
2:45 p.m. PANEL: Q & A WITH WORKSHOP INTENSIVE PRESENTERS
3:15 p.m. Break
3:30 p.m. “TARGET YOUR PITCHES TO GET THE EDITOR’S NOD” PAUL FRICHTL, Seattle, Editor, Alaska Airlines magazine; KEVIN MAX, Bend, Publisher, 1859 Magazine; ALLEN COX, Tacoma, Editor-in-Chief,Northwest Travel Magazine; MEG WEAVER, Astoria, Editor/Publisher, Wooden Horse Pub Magazine Database
4:30 p.m. EVALUATIONS and CLOSING
“Travel deeply at home and away. . . Have real experiences in your region and abroad. . . Find your writer’s voice. . .Tell a story. . .Publish!”
–Adapted from Travel writer & photographer, Judith Fein
We are a group of freelance writers, journalists, editors, and travel and tourism professionals who live and work in the Pacific Northwest: Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Alaska, and British Columbia.
“I am inspired. . .incredible, relevant material.”
“Serious how-to plus take home advice.”
“. . .a great diversity and depth of experience among the speakers. . .well organized, thoughtfully planned, and thought-provoking. . .it proves the value of small conferences.”
“I liked having the travel exhibitors in the same room as the conference. . .I made good contacts and got several assignments. . .”
Board Member, Co-Chair Conference & Media Trip Committee, Past President
Freelance Lifestyle Journalist
Follow me: @maralynhill